I think not.

I left Apalach Saturday night. I didn’t want to leave, but circumstances said otherwise. Or so I thought.

I took my last yoga class (until I go back) and then I headed over to the gallery to paint outside for the town’s art walk. I had a great time and finished the painting for the brother who worked on my alternator.

After dropping that off with a mutual friend as they were out of town, I headed out.

I stopped at the gas station and after I filled up, I needed a jump start. Since this wasn’t unusual before my alternator fix, I didn’t think much of it. About 2 hours and some possessed-like activity in the RV electronics, I had to pull over. There was a McDonald’s and I could park in the back out of the way.

I left the RV running and went inside to order dinner. By the time I came out, the RV was dead, as I feared it would be. The McDonald’s peeps were very nice and let me stay the night. They even sent a guy out to jump start the RV, but I got no more than a couple feet out of the parking spot when it died again.  I was parked rather poorly now and kind of in the way. There was no hope for it.  AAA couldn’t get anyone out to me and it looked like a garage would be open on Sunday.


That day I saw a van parked next to me. I thought it was part of the church next door, but I was wrong. It was another traveling soul. Lucky for me, as it will turn out.

I spoke to him a bit that night and he offered to jump the engine Monday morning with his generator so I could get to the garage without towing.

The gennie did not work.  Another gentleman pulled up and offered to get his friend who owns a garage to come help.

Turns out, he couldn’t help either.

So, David, who it turns out is Brother David (and he is apparently one of those rare people who have a direct line to The Man himself), had been praying in the back of his mind and felt bad he couldn’t help. He asked me to let him try with his van. I said sure, but I was doubtful, as is my nature.

Not only did the RV start, it actually made it Ray’s Garage. This included a wrong turn (thanks GPS) and making my way back up a very steep hill.

The men at Ray’s got to work and David gave me some great company for awhile. Eventually, he headed out as angels in disguise are want to do.

Ray’s took very good care of me, changed the alternator, the belt, and finally fixed that leaking transmission fluid that I paid someone to fix back in Kentucky.

I am now 2 hours from home and sitting at Roc’s in Marion.

I just realized I broke down in Marianna and now I have a flat tire in Marion.

Yes, my 3rd flat tire in less than a year. I think I’ll replace the remaining 3 before I hit the road again.

I tried Good Sam roadside this time since I didn’t cancel them after the last fiasco. Not only did they fail to help me this time, but they also wanted to charge me $90 over the cost of the tire I need. Yep. $225 for a tire when I’m in the middle of the interstate (literally) needing to get home to my most likely dying Grandma.

Since I’ve bought 2 others in the last year, I know that isn’t the price. I’ve since been quoted 130-175 plus a service call fee. I’ll probably end up paying the same anyway, but I’d rather give it to an honest person than someone trying to rip me off in my time of need. Someone I’ve already paid.  I didn’t get to see my Grandma today, but even if I had used Good Sam, they would have taken so long to get to me and change the tire (it was an hour wait), I would have made it home too late to see her anyway.

So if you like a little more Jesus with your nomadic adventures, check out Brother David. He’s a really good man and he’s sincerely doing God’s work.


The adventure really doesn’t start until something goes wrong.

At least that’s what I tell myself when I cry silently into my pillows at night.


On the plus side, it is storming and the dogs will get to sleep with me so their day is aces.

About Elisha

Elisha Dasenbrock is an award winning, international watercolor artist. She paints with a limited palette on claybord. Dasenbrock graduated from the American Academy of Art in 2009 and has been painting professionally ever since.